NFC technology is a special type of RFID technology. RFID (Radio-Frequency Identification) identifies the range of technologies that use radio waves for data transmission. Four sub-categories of RFID are identified, based on the respective operating frequency:
- LF (low frequencies): 125 kHz – 134.2 kHz
- HF (high frequencies) or NFC: 13.56 MHz
- UHF (ultra-high frequencies): 860 MHz – 960 MHz
- SHF (super-high frequencies): 2.45 GHz
- The NFC technology is that which operates at a frequency of 13.56 MHz and is the only one, among those RFID, to be compatible with mobile phones equipped with NFC. The LF and HF frequencies have a radius of a few centimeters, while the UHF and SHF frequencies have a wider range, up to several meters.