With CAVE Analytics you can add a small image beacon (pixel) in your newsletter emails, so you can TRACK HOW MANY USERS actually read and open the newsletter email.
To track how many people open and read your newsletters, you can add the following HTML image code in your newsletter:
<Remove this green text_img style=”border: 0;” src=”https://cave.example.com?idsite=YOUR_CAVE_WEBSITE_ID&rec=1&bots=1&url=https%3A%2F%2Fexample.com%2Femail-opened%2Fnewsletter_XYZ&action_name=Email%20opened&_rcn=internal%20email%20name&_rck=newsletter_XYZ” />
Once you add this code in your newsletters, when your users open and read the newsletter, it will add a new “Page title” entry for “Email opened” in your Behavior > Page titles report.
You will also be able to see this information in the Visitor Log.
In this example, replace:
- https://cave.example.com/ by your CAVE URL
- YOUR_CAVE_WEBSITE_ID by your Website ID (learn more)
When you use the HTML code above, the following information will also be recorded in CAVE:
- &url=%2Femail-opened%2Fnewsletter_XYZ records a pageview with the URL set to to “/email-opened/newsletter_XYZ” in Behavior > Page URLs report.
&action_name=Email%20opened records a Page Title set to “Email opened” in Behavior > Page titles report.
- &_rcn=internal%20email%20name records a visit from a Campaign and sets the campaign name to “internal email name” in Referrers > Campaigns report.
- &_rck=newsletter_XYZ will also set the campaign keyword to “newsletter_XYZ” (set it to the name of this particular email newsletter for example “Summer-deals-2017-August”) in Referrers > Campaigns report.
When the people receiving your emails are all on the same internal networks and using a similar email client, you will find that the Unique Users/Unique Visitors KPI metric value will be wrong.
To solve this issue you want to append the parameter: &cid= which should be set to a uniquely generated string of exactly 16 hexadecimal characters (containing only characters 01234567890abcdefABCDEF). This will set the Visitor ID to a unique string for each email recipient ensuring CAVE tracks them correctly.